Basic Rules and Skills of Basketball:
Basketball is a ball game played between two teams of five players in each team. There are backboards set at the backline of each side of the court. There is a basket set on caring in each of the backboards. Points are scored if the ball is put in the basket. The basket has a hole at the bottom so that ball falls easily down from the basket to continue the game.
Basic Rules of Basketball:
- At first, a toss is made to choose the side of the court.
- The game begins with a jump ball done by the referee.
- The players try to put the ball into the basket. They score two Points if they put the ball into the basket from the position inside the three-points-line. Three points are awarded if a player scores from the position outside the three-point line. One point is scored in case there is a free throw slot.
- Players are allowed to advance the ball ahead by dribbling or making passes to their teammates. They are not allowed to move around ahead catching the ball.
- Once the player stops dribbling and catches the ball, s/he is not allowed to dribble again. The ball should be passed to others or put in the basket.
- Pushing, Pulling, or hitting others is not allowed.
- Dribbling with both hands is regarded as a Foul.
- The ball cannot be held for more than five seconds by a player at a time.
- Each team can reserve seven extra players. They can replace the active players with the permission of the referee. The referee can allow replacement on the Command of the team captain.
- The game is played in two halves of 20 minutes each with an interval of 10 minutes. The team that scores more points within the duration of the game I declared the winner.
Basic Skills of Basketball:
Good skills are necessary to be a good player of basketball. The skills can be developed through many types of practices. They are dribbling, bouncer pass, and making baskets. These skills for basketball can be developed through other basic games. Some of the games are port ball and dodge ball.
Dribbling is done in different games. We have predicted dribbling for football. But it is different from basketball. The ball is dribbled by hitting the ball on the ground repeatedly without catching or holding the ball. In basketball players are not allowed to dribble again after holding the dribbling ball.
b. Bounce Pass:
Bounce Pass is an important skill needed for basketball. This skill is used to pass the ball to a teammate to save the ball from the opponent’s or to advance the ball ahead faster. A bounce pass is performed by hitting the ball on the ground in such a way that the target teammate receives it for further advancement to score.
c. One-hand Pass:
This skill is needed when the ball has to be passed to a long distance. It is helpful when a team wants to advance the ball more quickly towards the basket. The one-hand pass can be executed as overhead and underhand passes. The overhead pass is done by raising the ball above the head with one hand and throwing it along the distance. An underhand pass is a process of throwing the ball upward keeping the position of the hand below the waist level.
History of Basketball
Dr. James Naismith is known worldwide as the inventor of basketball. He was born in 1861 in Ramsay township, near Almonte, Ontario, Canada.
The concept of basketball was born from Naismith’s school days in the area where he played a simple child’s game known as duck-on-a-rock outside his one-room schoolhouse. James Naismith moved on to the YMCA Training School in Springfield, Massachusetts, the USA in 1891, where the sport of basketball was born.
Read More: Dodge-ball
Read More: Long-jump