In this article, we will discuss the Basic Skills and Rules of Basketball.
Basketball is an indoor game. It is played between teams of five players each. The aim, of the game, is to shoot the basketball into the ring.
If a basket is scored then one, or three points are scored. Three points are scored if a player scores a basket away from the three-point circle. If the player scores from inside the three-point circle, two points, are scored and one point for the free shot is scored.
The team to scores the most points at the end of the game wins the game. The ball can be played by dribbling it It can be passed or can shoot.
A player is not, allowed to walk with the ball or dribble it for the second time once the dribbling has stopped. The ball must be passed to a teammate, shoot or lose the ball possession.
It is a violation to walk with the ball or double-dribble it. The height of the ring is 10 feet (3.1 meters) above the ground.
The basketball court is generally divided into two parts by the mid-court line. The two baskets are situated at opposite ends of the court. The free throw line is situated 15 feet (4.57 meters) from the basket.
The three-point line is situated 23 feet 9 inches (7.24 meters) from the basket in international play and 22 feet (6.71 meters) from the basket in the NBA games.
Court Dimensions (Length x Width)
28 meters x 15 meters (91.9 feet x 49.2 feet)
28.7 meters x 15.24 meters (94 feet x 50 feet)
94 feet x 50 feet (28.7 meters x 15.24 meters)
84 feet x 50 feet (25.6 meters x 15.24 meters)
|Junior High School||
74 feet x 42 feet (22.6 meters x 12.8 meters)
Basic Skills and Rules of Basketball
The skills of Basket are as follows:
i. Chest Pass
ii. Bounce Pass
iii. Overhead Pass
iv. Baseball Pass
– The chest pass is named so because the pass starts from the Chest level.
– It is thrown by gripping the ball on the sides with the thumbs d the ball.
– When the pass is thrown, the fingers are rotated behind the ball and the thumbs are turned down. with the thumbs straight down.
– The Follow-through should end with the back of the hands facing one another with the thumbs straight down.
– The basketball should have a good backspin.
– When throwing a chest pass, the players should aim to throw it to the receiver’s chest level.
– The bounce pass is effective for smaller players in the game. The smaller player can use a bounce pass to reach the target. It is much easier to throw a pass underneath the big players than to throw over them.
– The starting position for the bounce pass is to hold the ball at chest level with both hands.
– Knees should be slightly bent and feet should be shoulder-width apart.
– The passer should step with the leading foot and pass the ball to a partner with a snapping wrist action, finishing with hands out, and thumbs pointing in and down.
– The basketball should hit the floor about two-thirds distance of the distance from the passer.
– The ball should arrive at the midsection or waist of the teammate.
– The ball should hit the floor and pop into the receiver’s, hands.
– Bring the ball directly above your forehead with both hands on the side of the ball and follow through.
– It can be passed with one hand but the throwing hand should come over the shoulder.
– Aim for the teammate’s chin. Some coaches advise not to bring the ball behind your head because it can get stolen and it takes a split-second longer to throw the pass.
Basic Rules of the Basketball
Following are the Basic Rules of the Basketball:
– Each team has a maximum, of 5.
– The game is for 40 minutes.
– It is played for 10 minutes of four quarters. The players have chest numbers from 4 to 15.
– Substitutes are made by the coach to replace players on the court.
– Substitutions can be done at certain times in the game and the referee will let you know when it is allowed.
– Substitutions can take place as often as it is necessary.
– The team that has control of the basketball is the OFFENCE.
– The team without the ball is the DEFENCE. shooting.
– The defending team tries to stop the offense from shooting. and/or passing.
– The ball can be moved forward by dribbling and/or passing.
– The player holding the ball must always keep one of the feet on the floor; this is called the “pivot” foot.
– Players can only lift their foot if they wish to dribble, pass or shoot the ball.
– The pivot foot can twist but must remain in contact with the floor and in the same place.
– If players move feet without dribbling, passing or shooting, they are penalized and the ball will be given to the other team, this is called “travelling”.
– The ball must stay within the court of play (inside sidelines and end-lines), otherwise, it goes to the other team.
– No player may contact an opponent team member; this is called a “Foul”.
– If a foul takes place while a player is shooting for a basket, the shooter is given free shots from the free-throw line.
– If the basket (while being fouled) is scored, two points are awarded and one free throw is taken. If the basket misses, two free throws are given.
– If a player receives five fouls during a game they must leave the court and can take no more part in the game.
– Now you know some basic rules of the game. You have to keep on practicing. The most important thing is to have fun.
Basketball was developed by James Naismith in 1891 at the International YMCA Training School (Cureently Springfield College) in Springfield, Massachusetts. Naismith was a physical education professor who was assigned to make an indoor game for his students to enjoy during the time of winter months.
At he began the game, he invented the game with 13 rules, and it quickly evolved as a popular among students and faculty at the YMCA.
The foremost official basketball match was held on December 21, 1891, between two teams of nine players each. The game was held in a gym with a soccer ball and two peach baskets nailed to the walls. The players would throw the ball into the competitor’s team’s basket to make points.
James Naismith developed basketball at the International YMCA Training School in Springfield, Massachusetts.
The first intercollegiate basketball game was held between the University of Chicago and Hamline University.
Basketball was placed in the World’s Fair in St. Louis.
The International Basketball Federation (FIBA) was edtablished.
Basketball was first time in the Olympic Games in Berlin.
The Basketball Association of America (BAA) was established.
The NBL and BAA merged to make the National Basketball Association (NBA).
The United States men’s basketball team won its first Olympic gold medal.
Wilt Chamberlain made 100 points in a single NBA game.
Magic Johnson and Larry Bird face off in the NCAA Championship game.
The United States men’s basketball team won its second Olympic gold medal in a row.
Michael Jordan was drafted by the Chicago Bulls.
The Dream Team won the Olympic gold medal, cementing Michael Jordan’s status as one of the greatest basketball players of all time.
The Chicago Bulls won their sixth NBA championship in eight years.
LeBron James was drafted by the Cleveland Cavaliers.
The Los Angeles Lakers won their second NBA championship in four years.
The United States men’s basketball team won its third consecutive Olympic gold medal.
The Milwaukee Bucks won their first NBA championship in 50 years.
This was for the Basic Skills and Rules of Basketball.
Searches Related to Basketball
how to play basketball
basketball history facts
Read More: Pro Kabaddi
Read More: kho kho Rule And Skills